thoean.com is a personal collection of work, opinions, texts and funstuff from myself, Markus Thurner.
I am currently working at Cimpress as an engineering lead for the Business Analytics platform, as well as a professional bean-to-bar chocolate taster at The small batch project. I’m based in the greater Zürich area in Switzerland.
Free minutes outside of work are dedicated to my family, but also running, swimming, hiking, skiing and learning Spanish. I’ve collected a few links on resources on how to learn languages and more specifically Spanish, and I started sharing my reading list. See the ones from 2017 and 2018.
Software engineering skills
My education was focused on media technology and design. Eventually I ended up in the software engineering field. My professional experience is mostly backed by developing a few long term software products, whereas several smaller custom applications or consultancy added nice know how in various fields.
In the past few years I started building and leading teams while remaining a hands-on software engineer for most of my time. This allowed me to move to inspiring teams while getting deeply involved with writing microservices and serverless technologies, but also some more philosophical aspects of life that get applied when managing humans.
How I got here (past roles)
You can find the long story on LinkedIn.
- 2019 onwards: Technical lead for a Business Analytics platform
- 2005 – 2018: Manufacturing centric projects, from low-level bits-and-bytes software engineering to leading teams, from precision measurement systems to printing to mass-customization.
- 2006 – 2008: Engineering manager of a small nearshore software engineering team.
- 2004 – 2005: Consultancy projects around technologies like .NET, BizTalk, Spring Framework (a long, long time ago; so dear recruiter, I am not a BizTalk expert just because I have it on my CV 15 years ago)
- Before that: Many, many web and desktop applications.